Monday, February 9, 2009

The Look of Love


I have attempted to play cupid throughout the years without much luck. The friends that are still speaking to me will agree that I am not very good at it. My lack of matchmaking skills apparently spill over into the animal kingdom as well. When a new pup joins our group, I always think "I can't wait for "x" to meet "y". They are going to love each other"! Most of the time I am wrong.
A perfect example is Lola. A beautiful weimaraner with long legs and neurosis to match. I had her pegged for Apricot. A handsome golden retriever with the disposition of a southern gentleman. Nothing got under his skin. But no, Lola fell for Rico. A pit/shepard mix from the wrong side of the tracks. He growled, she snarled they were in love!
Another miss was Archie. He's a very big flirt in a jack russell body. I knew he was going to love Cici, a black cocker with eyelashes so long they should be illegal. Wrong again. Archie's first love was a blond vizsla/lab mix named Lexie. Unfortunately Lexie traded love for a career (she does search and rescue of tennis balls ). Archie's current object of affection is an older woman named Cokie. She's a stinky basset with an attitude that rivals any diva! They are still an item.
Then there is Rita and Sammy. I can't imagine those two any other way. Rita snorts, Sammy skips. They are storybook cute with a love affair straight out of a Disney movie. They are currently living together and probably in some adorable cuddle pose as I write.
Next but not least is Dexter. He is the player of the group. He looked so cute with Tala the English Shepard but he's one of those guys that can't be tied down. He loves the girls AND the boys.....Who knew?
With love in the air, I guess it's best I give Cupid back his bow and arrow. If you are out there looking for love maybe it's best to follow the lead of our furry friends. Just close your eyes and let that arrow fly. You never know what might happen. Hopefully it won't land on a stinky basset!
Have a wonderful Valentines Day!

1 comment:

  1. What great insite and humor to the love life of our four legged friends!
    I have to stay though,as her "parent", I am disapointed to learn that Lexie has chosen a career over love. Perhaps as she gets older, and wiser, she will realize that the warm fur of a friend outways the green fuzz of a tennis ball!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...